Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Near death by drowning Poetry

Reminiscing of beach days…
 
Photo Credit: Julie Van Vliet

A set rolls in,
the coast is clear;
my paddle in hand,
my board held near.

A step into the wave,
the water feels nice,
But beware!
The ocean today is full of lies.

Paddling out
is quite the chore,
as the waves keep sending me
back to shore.

Finally dismounting
with the leash in my hand,
Ah! Waist deep water. 
My feet still find sand!

Dragging the board behind
As the waves seem to grow,
I thought it was clear!
 Shows how little I know…

There are waves in each set,
Usually about three,
At least that’s what was true
‘til the ocean saw me.

The 5th wave rises ahead,
Surely this must be all!
I struggle valiantly over
But soon I was to violently fall.

Another swell on the rise,
I’m in no-mans-land!
Do I lie flat on the board?!
Kneel?! Stand?!

The break is just beginning
and I am almost through!
But that was not to be the case
as my board backward flew.

Leash pulled tight
as I am sucked below;
Tumbling and flailing,
the ocean is a formidable foe.

Finding ground,
my legs send me shooting towards the sky;
Why did I attempt this today?!
 Why oh why?!

Dragging the board back to my body,
my paddle is gone;
That’s the least of my worries
for another wave looms yon.

Quick! Grab the board!
Lie flat as can be,
While the wave (6th I might add!)
begins to pummel me.

Drawn under again
by the ocean’s mighty arm,
I warn you my friends,
the ocean may do you harm!

Breath held as panic
raises its nasty head;
Not finding sand soon
may mean I’m dead.

An eternity seems to pass
as my lungs scream for air,
My hands feel the surface,
I claw my way up there.

Water to my chest,
the waves are dying again;
My struggle is over;
today the ocean did solidly win.

The paddle I grab
as I lie on the board;
Thank you for letting me
survive this round, Lord!

A wave is caught
and there is no attempt to stand;
All I wish for
are my feet on dry land.

That goal is attained,
the ocean no longer my fear;
My paddle firmly in hand
and my board dragging near.


No comments:

Post a Comment